Tuesday, March 1, 2011

ETL 504 - Introduction

That time of year is here again - the beginning on another uni year. Having read all the module titles and assessment items, I must say I am really quite nervous. This subject sounds REALLY hard. I just spent last weekend reading the text and didn't get a whole lot out of it. Quite a waste of money. (Should I even write that given that the author is the lecturer??)

I have made a start and read through the introduction. The other two subjects I have so far completed have made reference to the TL as leader, but I didn't really get the idea of that. To me a leader was one of the executive, and I had never heard of a TL on the executive team. Even with the little bit of reading done so far I now have a completely different view. Phew - something is sinking in :)

Donham reading - 'Leadership'
A recurring theme is collaboration - not just in this article but in this course so far. There is good news and bad news here. The good news is that there is a focus at school at the moment in working collaboratively (Although poor TL not included - just collaboration between grade partners is the focus. The bad news is that during staff meetings on this topic I have completely tuned out and taken very little in). I'm sure someone on staff will have the name of the 'expert' that Dr G continually refers to.

I like the information of internal/external locus of control. We all have the external locus in us at times - some more often than others!

It was a relief to read that TLs cannot be expected to excel in every facet of their role. However, at HS the TL role is very much about resources and how quickly they can be placed in our hands. There is an expectation that library skills will be taught. But information literacy? Not the domain of the TL - at least this is what the general opinion of the staff is. As a result, the teachers at school think our TL is the queen of all TLs. She can name practically resource available for every unit of work in every KLA in every grade. Information literacy is pretty much either a. not taught or b. taught by classroom teachers. This is why, as excellent as I think our TL is, there is a lot lacking in her daily role. I know that she is frustrated by this, but as she is heading towards the end of her career she has said that she really can't be bothered fighting a losing battle. I guess this is an example of external locus of control. God bless you HC - you are a great TL and this isn't meant as a criticism of you but more of how your role is perceived.

Leading from the middle is a new concept to me. Essentially it means that you have no recognised leadership role as such, but very much are a leader through the very nature of your role. Donham makes mention that TLs lead through influence - and this is based on establishing expertise, collaborating with others, maintaining a good 'say-do' ratio and reflection and assessing. Communication is essential - an TLs need to articulate information literacy curriculum and how it can be measured.

Strategic leadership is also highlighted. I think this is the basis for assignment 2 - the vision statement. It compares a library as a 'resource-filled centre for teaching and learning' as opposed to a 'storehouse for educational resources' and an 'academic centre for the school' as opposed to 'an academic support programme'. In both instances I believe that the staff at HS see the library as the latter. And to be completely honest, until a year ago I did too! This to me highlights the need for the TL to communicate their role and responsibilities.

Action strategies highlighted include
  • learning and teaching - identifying expertise and using this to develop the library
  • information access and delivery - making the library more visible via school's web page and a library homepage that can be easily navigated
  • programme administration - involve others in strategic planning for the library programme, which to me = collaboration
My learning journey continues. My head is hurting and I have only just started :-o

No comments:

Post a Comment