Sunday, March 6, 2011

School of the future - youtube clip

This youtube clip was posted to the forums by Kerrie Maxwell.

Some parts of this were incredibly interesting.

I was concerned (?not sure if that is actually the correct word to use here) by the fact that the library has very few books. Maybe this is an area where I need to accept that change in inevitable. However, as someone who loves to read, I hate the thought of not having an acutal book to hold in my hand and turn the pages. If all books are electronic I think a little bit of pleasure will go - I cannot imagine reading an electronic book at the beach! Another area that I feel I might struggle with, at least initially, would be the lack of schedule - classes are posted online daily. As a teacher in a primary school, I wonder how this would fit with children with Asbergers - of which we hav several at our school.

The things I LOVED from this are:
1. that human resources are valued and considered inportant. There is such a push towards technology that I feel teachers are going to become undervalued and seen as easily replaced by computers etc.
2. no blackboards. We have IWBs in all classrooms at school and I am such an advocate. They are excellent for engaging students and cater for visual as well as auditory learners whereas regular whiteboards are there for the visual learners only
3. 'use the technology to teach' as opposed to 'teach the technology'. The latter statement is not doing any favours for learners in the 21st century
4. partnering on the outside is impoirtant because we are shaping children for the world and not just education. This brings to mind something said by Tony Ryan at a recent sonference attended. He told us of a uni (?) where the students were allowed to take mobile phones into the exam room to assist them. When challenged on this, the response was that the exam was structured around the students knowing how to find appropritate sources rather than knowing everything for the exam themselves. This was referred to as 'connectivism' - which is now my new 'buzz word' re education and life in the 21st century

No comments:

Post a Comment